"Hamas has the choice"

Israeli minister threatens new offensive in March

Nachrichten
19.02.2024 08:47

Benny Gantz, minister in the Israeli war cabinet, has threatened an offensive on Rafah around March 10. "The world must know and the Hamas leadership must know: If the hostages are not home by Ramadan, the fighting will continue everywhere, including in the Rafah region," Gantz said on Sunday.

The Islamist fasting month of Ramadan begins around March 10. "To those who say the price is too high, I say very clearly: Hamas has a choice. They can surrender, release the hostages and the civilians in Gaza can celebrate Ramadan," said Gantz in Jerusalem. An Israeli offensive would be coordinated and carried out in consultation with the US and Egypt to evacuate civilians.

Netanyahu: Agreement changes nothing
Israel's Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu also insists on a military offensive in Rafah despite international warnings (see video above). Even an agreement with Hamas on the release of the hostages would not change the plan. Rafah is located on the border with Egypt and currently offers around 1.4 million Palestinians refuge from the fighting. A number of governments, including Israel's closest ally the USA, are therefore calling for the operation to be abandoned.

Egypt's government, for example, assumes that women and children in particular will lose their lives. "The consequences of the Israeli offensive for the civilian population are already unparalleled in the 21st century," said Foreign Minister Sameh Shoukry.

Focus on the south
The current Israeli military operations are mainly in the south of the Gaza Strip, such as in the town of Khan Younis. On Sunday, the army announced that it was still in the Nasser Hospital and in its vicinity, where it "found additional weapons".

Fighters from Hamas and other terrorist organizations had invaded Israel on 7 October and committed atrocities there, mainly against civilians. Around 1160 people were killed and around 250 were taken hostage in the Gaza Strip. 130 of them are said to still be in the area, 30 of whom are now dead. Since then, Israel's army has launched a massive military operation against Hamas in the Gaza Strip. More than 28,900 people are said to have died in the process.

 krone.at
krone.at
Loading...
00:00 / 00:00
play_arrow
close
expand_more
Loading...
replay_10
skip_previous
play_arrow
skip_next
forward_10
00:00
00:00
1.0x Geschwindigkeit
explore
Neue "Stories" entdecken
Beta
Loading
Kommentare
Eingeloggt als 
Nicht der richtige User? Logout

Willkommen in unserer Community! Eingehende Beiträge werden geprüft und anschließend veröffentlicht. Bitte achten Sie auf Einhaltung unserer Netiquette und AGB. Für ausführliche Diskussionen steht Ihnen ebenso das krone.at-Forum zur Verfügung. Hier können Sie das Community-Team via unserer Melde- und Abhilfestelle kontaktieren.

User-Beiträge geben nicht notwendigerweise die Meinung des Betreibers/der Redaktion bzw. von Krone Multimedia (KMM) wieder. In diesem Sinne distanziert sich die Redaktion/der Betreiber von den Inhalten in diesem Diskussionsforum. KMM behält sich insbesondere vor, gegen geltendes Recht verstoßende, den guten Sitten oder der Netiquette widersprechende bzw. dem Ansehen von KMM zuwiderlaufende Beiträge zu löschen, diesbezüglichen Schadenersatz gegenüber dem betreffenden User geltend zu machen, die Nutzer-Daten zu Zwecken der Rechtsverfolgung zu verwenden und strafrechtlich relevante Beiträge zur Anzeige zu bringen (siehe auch AGB). Hier können Sie das Community-Team via unserer Melde- und Abhilfestelle kontaktieren.

Kostenlose Spiele