Warning by phone call
Explosive device detonated in front of ministry in Athens
An explosive device detonated outside the Ministry of Labor in the center of Athens on Saturday night. No one was injured. The detonation was preceded by an anonymous phone call. The area around the building was then cordoned off.
According to the police, the explosive device detonated at 1.29 am (0.29 am CET). According to the public broadcaster ERT, the explosive device was placed in a bag in front of the gate of a bank near the ministry. According to reports, considerable damage was caused to the facades of the ministry and other surrounding buildings.
Unknown group claims responsibility for the crime
Police officers were able to block the street in time, according to the Athens Police Directorate. Anti-terrorism experts investigated the scene of the crime, it added. The crime was claimed by a previously unknown organization called "Revolutionary Self-Defence of the Classes".
Anti-terrorism authority investigates
Autonomous and left-wing underground organizations have repeatedly carried out similar attacks in recent decades. They describe themselves as a kind of urban guerrilla group that uses their attacks to overthrow the state and seek revenge for social injustice in the country. According to the police, the anti-terrorism authority has taken over the investigation into the latest case.
Minor bomb and arson attacks are common in Greece and in most cases do not cause major damage. Nevertheless, the government said it was concerned about the incident. "The attack is very serious and has to do with a serious crime," government spokesman Pavlos Marinakis told Open TV.







Da dieser Artikel älter als 18 Monate ist, ist zum jetzigen Zeitpunkt kein Kommentieren mehr möglich.
Wir laden Sie ein, bei einer aktuelleren themenrelevanten Story mitzudiskutieren: Themenübersicht.
Bei Fragen können Sie sich gern an das Community-Team per Mail an forum@krone.at wenden.